Archive for the “Windows” Category

“An Exchange 2007 Server on which an address list is active cannot be found. “

I received this error message today after removing a user’s mailbox and creating a contact them as they are no longer using our corporate email and will be going back to using their external email address. I tried several times to use the New Contact wizard in the Exchange Management Console to no avail, everytime I attempted to use the wizard I always received the same result, it would hang at the end in a processing state. First time I let it run for about 15 minutes, the last 2 times only about 5 minutes. It was pretty obvious that there was an issue going on with our Exchange Server.

I did a little research and came across some information concerning the Microsoft System Attendant service, for most people their issues had to do with the MSA service not being in a running state, mine however was running. So I did what any red blooded IT person would, I stopped and restarted the service.

This solved my issue, as soon as the service was running again, I performed another New Contact process in the wizard without any hanging at all.

Here is the link that I found this informaiton on.
Exchange Server

Comments 1 Comment »

Ever had the problem of not being able to restart or shutdown a PC that you have a Remote Desktop Connection with?
It’s really simple to do, just use Ctrl-Alt-End instead of Delete, this will give you the additional options that you need if they are not already there.

Comments No Comments »

Ah, so it begins. Windows 7 troubleshooting. I have just added to new PCs to my mish mash of systems. The first PCs build went without a hitch, added the anti-virus software, added all additional software that was needed by the user, which incidentally was our newly acquired CEO for the company, and added the PC to the domain again without any problems.

Then there was the second PC build. This however did not go as smoothly. The software installation was not a problem, and the anti-virus installation was fine. My problems began after adding the PC to the domain. After the initial restart I then attempted to add the user’s domain login to the user accounts, and this is when the Fail began. Windows 7 preceded to give me the following message:

User Accounts
The user account could not be created due to the following error:
The trust relationship between the workstation and the primary domain controller failed!

The first thing I tried was to remove the PC from the domain, adding it to a workgroup, and then re-adding it to the domain with the administrator account. I attempted this process at least three times before trying other alternatives.
Next I connected to the DC remotely, under the Administrator Tools/Active Directory Users and Computers/Computer OU I found the problem child and the attempted to reset the PC account. Again this was a dead end after a couple of tries. At this time also removed and re-added the PC to the domain, no go.

That’s when the message “The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship” starting popping up at the login attempts. By this time I am ready to pull out my hair (Which I have none of due to shaving it).
Ah, that’s when I get the bright idea to do the following: delete the PC account from the AD U&C on the Domain Controller, the remove the PC from the Domain and adding it back into the Workgroup. This time instead of manually adding the PC to the Domain I opted to use the Network ID wizard, this promptly found the PC account on the DC with the matching name, I chose the option to use that account and low and behold, IT WORKED! Yeah, I could now go home happy.

Hope this helps someone.

Comments No Comments »